Monday, February 27, 2012

February Feature- Meet Stephanie

Hey All!

As well all know, the month of February is coming to an end, and I have one more feature for you guys! While on your HHJ, you meet a lot of great people, be it in the streets, Forums, blogs (like mine ;) lol) anywhere really, and she is definitely one of them! I have grown to adore her, and her curls...and maybe envy every once in a while lol.

Anyway, Stephanie was kind enough to let me ask her a few questions, and share a piece of her NHJ with me. She is a woman of the Military, so for all those ladies who are stationed out somewhere, or are part of another branch, and are contemplating starting your HHJ or NHJ. This is for you!!

So let's meet her!





Hey there! If you don't mind, could you please introduce yourself, and tell us where you're repping? 
A: My name is Stephanie Ramsey and I am stationed at Davis-Monthan AFB in Arizona. I've been in the military for 6 years. Natural for almost two years. I'm originally from California.

How is the natural scene there?
A: I've seen a few naturals here. There's not very many women of color here. But of the ones that are here I have seen a handful of naturals and it surprised me!


Where did the idea of going natural come from, what was your inspiration?
A: I was inspired to go natural in 2009 while I was on deployment. I had met a girl who had beautiful waist length hair. She told me she was 5 years natural at the time and she had done the big chop. Prior to meeting her I never considered to stop relaxing my hair.


What made you choose transitioning over doing the Big Chop?
A: I ended up transitioning unintentionally. At the time I was doing research on natural hair maintenance and products and had stopped relaxing my hair but had no idea that there was a name for what i was doing. 

Was there anything that proved to be a challenge while trying to manage those two textures?  
A: The biggest challenge for me was trying to keep moisture in my hair. My hair always seemed so dry.


What helped you get through those tough times?
A: Deep conditioning and cowashing. I cowashed whenever my hair felt dry and I wanted to give it a quick rehydration.


Many of us are obsessed with trying to figure out our texture while transitioning, was that one of your concerns? If not, what was your main focus?
A: I didn't care about texture that much. My biggest concern was trying to figure out why my hair was so tightly curled in the back but in the front it was a frizzy, poofy mess. lol


When did you finally Big Chop?
A: In May 2010, I decided to BC. I cut off all my hair myself. It was a freeing experience! I loved my new look. I got a lot of compliments and many girls ended up BCing and going natural after they saw my hair.



Are the products and or methods any different from those you used while transitioning?
A: YES! When I was transitiong I used a ton of big name, expensive products but these days I get my products from the 99 cent store and they've been working great in my hair. My favorite products are Suave (for my deep conditions), VO5 (for my cowashes), Vitamin e oil, Method of Style activator gel and Vital Care shining gel thats all I use on my hair and they work great!



Would you say there are any advantages or disadvantages to being natural? 
A: No disadvantages! I had a lot of issues with my relaxed hair. I always had scabs and extremely bad dandruff. Sometimes my scalp would even bleed. :( But since I've been natural I haven't had to deal with any of those issues! Being natural is amazing! I love my kinky curls!



Are there any tips or tricks you have learned on your Natural Hair Journey that you would like to share with contemplating beginning one?
A: Don't be afraid to try new products or styles & dont feel like you have to spend a ton of money to find a quality product. 



Is there any way we can we catch you?
A:  I'm on Facebook... I've shared pictures of my hair throughout my journey and product reviews on there.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe and Comment! Share your opinions, knowledge or questions, or all three!

Popular Posts