Tuesday, February 14, 2012

February Feature- Meet Amber

Hey All!

I meant to post this feature yesterday, but sleep got in the way lol. This Feature is a tiny special because it is my very own sister. ^_^  I have been helping her with her hair lately so I figured it would be great for her to share her struggles and triumphs with her natural hair.






Where are you from, what are you reppping?
A: Well, I'm From NY! otherwise known as the best city ever. lol j.k No, I'm from the Bronx, but I've lived all over.

When did you decide to go natural?
A: Actually, it wasn't really a decision. One day I just stopped getting perms. It was probably around 2005 ( my freshman year of H.S) and I just never got another one since.

What made you chose Transitioning over going through with a Big Chop?
A: Like I said before, I kind of just fell into transitioning. I learned that term from you lol. My hair has been sort of like a gradual thing. 

Since your decision to go natural, have you experienced any flack or comments from family or friends because of your decision?
A: Oh my goodness. That is the single most annoying comments one can ever hear. I've heard all kind of stuff, from : you look like you got electrocuted, you look like a q-tip. Why doesn't your hair do that(While pointing to a relaxed girl), Can't you fix it? Don''t you ever comb it?....My personal favorite is my mother. She says I look like Michael Jackson from the Wiz. Yup, these are all true. Even my mother makes fun of my afro. Such is life when you're different, I guess.

Has any of those opinions affected how you, if so, in what way?
A: At first it made me want to run straight to the Dominican Hair salon. It felt so weird that people would stare, or always have something to say about. Now, I'm a little better because my boyfriends is very supportive and told me not to let close minded people affect me. So I'm much more confident. Well, you too, because you're my personal stylist. wink.


If you had to describe your hair, how would you?
A: Hmmm, I guess I would say it's curly, and big. It's thick, and I mean thiiick with 3 i's. It definitely has flair, I love my curly afro.



Have you had any difficulties or setbacks since your decision to go natural?
A:  I like twist outs and bantu knots mostly. On a regular day, I just wear it in its natural state. Lately I haven't because I need to cut my ends though.

Do you have any "Go To" products, or a set regimen?
A:  I don't really have any products I use regularly, but I am fond of Shea butter. That provides one of the best shine I have see, and I have dry hair.


What is your staple style?
A: I love what I learned was called Twist-Outs. I gives my big hair soo much definition, and I always get tons of compliments when I wear my hair that way.

What do you love most about your hair, and how does it compare to your relaxed days?
A: I love that my hair is versatile. I can pretty much do anything I want with it. I don't have to pay loads of money as I did when I relaxed it, and It doesn't matter if I get it wet. lol


Is there any tips or tricks you would like to share with someone who is thinking about transitioning?
A: The only suggestion I have for girls trying to transitioning is to MOISTURIZE. My hair had gotten so damaged once when I didn't condition and comb it through it often enough.

How can we keep up with you?
A: I have a Fb and twitter, www.facebook/bambi11791 and  @LuvBambii. Catch me there any time!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe and Comment! Share your opinions, knowledge or questions, or all three!

Popular Posts