Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Wash Day/Regimen



I love wash day because it gives me a chance to feel pampered and baby my hair! To me it is like going to the Salon, because it takes hours to get to the results I want (by choice) but in the comfort of my own home, which is the best part! Who like sitting in a salon for 3-4 hours? Not Me! lol

 My wash day comes once per week, and that is the day my hair gets the works. Everybody does not have the same washing ritual, whether natural, relaxed, or texlaxed. Some people wash once a week like me, some people twice a month, or once a month, so it varies depending on the person an the hair type.

I decided on once a week because I found that after two weeks my scalp is dirty, and hair is limp, and packed with product I have been adding over the days. Plus it starts to itch then lol.

I start by prepooing. Prepooing is a lot like deep conditioning, except that it is done on dry hair before Shampooing. It depends on my mood, but I do oil only prepoo's, and conditioner prepoo's. For my oil only I use Home Health Castor Oil, and Africa's Best Organics Ultimate Herbal Oil. For my conditioner prepoo I use V05 Tea Therapy Calming Chamomile with a few drops of the same oils I use in my oil prepoo. I like to leave it overnight with a plastic cap, if not done that way I do my prepoo a couple of hours before I plan on shampooing, same method.

I then rinse, and then do my Cayenne Pepper Treatment for an hour or two, rinse, then shampoo. I clarify 1-2 times a month using V05 Herbal Escapes Clarifying Kiwi Lime, if I clarify I use the matching conditioner to cowash, if not I use V05 Moisturizing Milks Strawberries & Cream.  Cowashing can be done in between wash days, as it helps keep your hair moisturized and clean. When I am not using my clarifying shampoo, I am using my moisturizing shampoo, V05 Moisturizing Milks Shampoo Strawberries & Cream. I tend to wash my hair in one big bunch, some braid their hair in plaits and wash their hair in sections. 

I then deep condition using one of my three conditioners which I alternate, Africa's Best Hair Mayonnaise, which I use as my protein, Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner as my in between, meaning it contains both protein and moisturizing ingredients, and Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholesterol, which I use as my moisturizing. I believe Mineral Oil is an ingredient in the (bolded) conditioners I use, but I does not bother me if it is far down in the list of ingredients. Many people try to stay away from mineral oil, and petroleum in products, because it is said to coats, and acts as a barrier, but it works fine for me. I have great results using all three of these conditioners.

After, I seal with my mix of Home Health Castor Oil, Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil, and Lavender Jamaican Black Castor Oil. I put pure LJBCO on my balds spots and edges.

Sometimes I use V05 Moisturizing Milks as a leave in, and then I style!

I what is called low manipulation styling, which means to style without direct heat. Styles such some featured on my blog, and others such as braid/ braid outs, (two strand/flat) twist/ twist outs, bantu knot outs, puffs, pin curls, roller/rod sets, etc.

Every once in a while I may do a protective style, which is styling that keeps ends protected. Such as individuals, and kinky twists, but you can also do buns, pony tails, wigs/lace fronts, cornrows, etc. This type is styling is suppose to help in retaining length.

My low manipulation styles usually last me two to three days. Unless it is wash day, I then cowash, seal, and style again!

I find that it is good to have a regimen to know what products works for you, and to know what treatments your hair may need throughout the week. Remember it is different for everyone, and some products may work for others, may not work for you, so it is trial and error, but at least it gives you a chance to get to know your hair!


Until Next Time, HHG to All! Naomi <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe and Comment! Share your opinions, knowledge or questions, or all three!

Popular Posts